My sister urged me to try her new recipe that makes a simple flan into a special dessert. You see, when we make flan, egg whites end up in the freezer. My sister decided to use the egg whites and make it into meringue to top the flan. This way, you use all eggs while having a different take to a plain flan. She also added cream of corn to the flan mixture for texture.
I tried the new recipe with my board of judges– my husband and son, both flan and meringue lovers. They both did not like the corn mixing up with the flan. For them, it is just a distraction to the natural smoothness of the flan. They also suggested that I minimize on the caramel syrup (base) since the meringue is already sweet. I agree to cutting the corn from the recipe and minimizing the sweetness of the base. My daughter has no comment since she’s not a fan of flan.
The meringue on top was a hit and gives sophistication to the plain flan.
Leche Flan + Meringue
For the Caramel:
3/4 cup sugar
For the Flan (custard):
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
7 egg yolks
1 whole egg
For the Meringue:
7 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1. Prepare 8 x 8 Baking dish or cake pan. Heat oven to 320 degrees. Place the baking dish in a roasting pan. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. For the caramel: Place the sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Continue to heat the sugar, swirling the pan every so often. Bring the sugar to a boil until it reaches an amber color. Remove from heat. Quickly pour the caramel into the baking dish. Set aside.
3. For the flan: Whisk the egg whites and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add the condensed milk and evaporated milk. Blend well. Pour the mixture into the baking dish with the caramelized sugar.
4. Bake: Place pan in the oven. Add enough boiling water to pan to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake until custard is almost set about 45 minutes.
5. For the Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on top of the flan that is almost done. Put back into the oven and brown the meringue for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Chill and serve.